Minutes 20171104

Today is the last Saturday before our first qualifier next week. The pressure is intense. The software team had a software code freeze. Though there is some intresting code that we were not able to implement, it will be available for our next qualifier at Battlefield.

Andrew –  Wrote the autonomous for each balancing stone. Also, fixed the autonomous so that it would work. We had it run forward, but then we realized that we needed a block, and that the block was in the way, so I edited the code in order to cope with that, by making the robot drive backward into the safezone.

Logan – Fixed the KBot teleOp code from last meeting. I realized I had a capitol L in the software but a lower case l in the phone. added code to raise and lower the claw assembly and tied the claw to the A button. I also ran a dry run of the bot with Andrew, and learned that Kevlar string is stronger than a screw. We also learned that you have to carry two blocks to get the 4th block in the cryptobox.

Isaac – Began debugging the implementation of the NavX sensor and finished. Set up method-based implementation to set turn-target. Took a few tries, but added some code that let the opMode find the heading of the bot before testing for the first time, and tweaked some logic operators, and it now works! “So far only tested in a simple go forward then turn right” test scenario. See isaac_sensors branch of git repo to see actual code.

Erin- Started documents for team rosters and photos. Also edited the sponsor brochure.

Meeting Minutes 20171102

Ayaan and Geoffrey: Went through all the pictures on the Team’s google drive and picked out photos for the Engineering Notebook and completed the Whiteboard and Notebook Sketches by uploading the photos and adding comments to them

Duncan: made an outline for the hardware notebook section and had Ayaan and Geoffrey work on adding information to it.

Christopher : test out the servos and planing on the the new bird design

Mira: I cleaned up the printed lift parts and began assembling it. We tested to see if the parts fit, and it was successful.

Kai: Wrote some blog posts on previous outreach events or added photos to preexisting ones. Added outreach events to the engineering notebook. Also worked with Erin on finding notable photos for the engineering notebook. Quick work on reworking Oscar.

Andrew: Edited some old autonomous code, and fixed the amount of power that the motors used, so that the robot would not go crazy.

Troy: I set up the motor mounts for Oscar,  set up some stuff for the k-bot.

Logan: created teleop code for KBot

Minutes 20171101

Competition is just 10 days away! Hard work on notebook has begun as well as coding nearing its completion.

 

Software:

K-bot is 50% programmed! It can move

Isaac – Began to add NavX code to other working OpMode in attempt to debug; it worked.

Notebook:

Duncan and John- worked on notebook pages and summaries

Kai- Wrote and added some blog posts on previous outreach events, slight tweaks to unpublished sponsorship page alternative rewards.

Hardware:

Rohan and Joseph did extensive dismantling to Oscar

 

Meeting Minutes 20171028

Today was a very productive day for both the software and hardware team. Progress on boxy, Ocscar, K-bot, and autonomous! The website had a few tweaks overall.

Hardware

John: Mounted the NaVx module onto “Boxy” which is now the strongest on most secure piece, finished work on upholstering one of the grabber arm for “Oscar”, started work on the drive wheels for “Oscar.” Directed some of the design process to Kavin and Mira.

Duncan: Finished wiring the electronics, used zip ties. Extended the jewel knocker arm. Changed the pulley on the lifter to allow its function to be smoother(K-Bot). “K-bot” was given to software.

Software

Worked on some autonomous code in order to get to the safe zone.

MR color sensor:     Can accurately detect colors, but depends not only on distance but exact color can change with background lighting.  Also the ODS does not seem to be able to detect color, just distance. – Angel

Created the configuration and hardware file for KBot, and also worked on debugging it. Also created a wiring diagram and fixed some cables.

Debugged NavX sensor code and tested motor-less code on full Boxy. – Isaac

Marketing

Assigned parts of the notebook and created bios for team members.

Meeting Minutes 20171026

As we approach our first qualifier, we are preparing to begin crunch week. Fragments of robot and design our coming together as things get hectic.

 

Marketing

Kai: Extensive design work on the website

Judging Team: Meet and discussed judging session plans with Herndon mentors Coach Simmons and Coach Koca

Hard ware

Duncan: finished adding the electronics to the robot and began wiring them up. Also talked to software about the functions of the robot so that they can decide what pats of the controllers do what

Evan and Danielle: Fixed motor codes for boxy and started to assign controls to the remote

John: Did the primary wiring on the robot, had a talk in order to prep for Inspire Award, deciding on meeting new meeting dates for crunch week(exciting!)

Software:

Isaac: Added lines of code that should begin allow course correction. Testing of code pending.

 

Outreach Event 20171014

FIRST Lego League Team

We invited the FLL team Candy Legos to visit our Saturday meeting with the Langston Hughes team 6633.We gave the kids a tour the Langston Hughes Tech Ed room / meeting space, showing them what their future robotics meetings would look like. We discussed and gave them advice on their project ideas and sensor issues.

The FLL team got to see two FTC teams in action, creating different solutions for the same challenge. Jake, representing team 6633, discussed their design process, while John discussed ours.

As ambassadors of the FIRST program, we always try to improve with each opportunity. Some of our next actions will be volunteering for the FLL mock tournament at NOVA Labs and creating a resource page for our website. We are also planning on advertising our club more at Rachel Carson MS, the other middle school that feeds into South Lakes.

Meeting Minutes 20171024

We decided on Tshirts today, and mounted electronics on Kbot. We continued working on the code for the NavX sensor.

Software

Isaac: Started to add code for the implementation of the NavX sensor in course correction in Autonomous mode(s).

Joseph/Kara: Worked on turning to an exact degree based on the robot’s dimensions. Next meeting will get the code to control and move the motors.

Hardware

Anthony: I helped out today by working on the lift mechanism and later I did the tedious of assembling mecanum wheels like a dumb homosapien.

Mira: I worked on modeling the frame of the k bot in CAD and added the lift.

John(in association with Duncan and Ayaan): Helped with the progression of K-bot by checking the operations of the lift, mounting electronics, and working out the other details

Kai: Worked on Oscar’s motor placements

Ayaan: worked with Kai and picked final T-shirt design, assembled some mechanum wheels.

 

 

Marketing

Lizzie: I posted about our school’s website announcement of our competition on the blog.

South Lakes Website Announcement

For the first time in Team 7729 history, our competition has been posted on the school website as an official upcoming event!

You can see the announcement here:

Robotics Competition–North Central Virginia Qualifier

We would like to thank our school’s webmaster, Mr. Richard Del Conte, for spreading the word about our event!

Club Fair 20171013

Our school hosted its annual club fair yesterday, where students could go out into the main hallway during lunch and explore the extra curricular activities offered by our school. We had a table where we talked to people and passed out flyers.

Meeting Minutes 20171021

Meeting Agenda:

 

Software:

Isaac – Implemented some elements of the NavX sensor. Test opMode tells you if you have turned 90 degrees in either direction, and also tells you whether you have turned too far. Plans are to implement this fully as a course correction mechanism for the bot.


Logan & Andrew – We worked on getting autonomous to work today. We tried bug fixing a basic autonomous program from last year, but ended up editing a test program and it worked.


Kara – Began to program a ‘Hot key’ on the robot so it will turn 90 degrees when the bumpers are pressed, so far when the bumpers are pressed the bot turns left or right for however long you push the button. Joseph is helping figure out the math so we can get the robot to turn 90 degrees.


Hardware:

Kai – Attached grabber to grabber lift; did extensive rework to website. Altered base theme, menu options, widgets, sponsorship pages and more. Plan to do some edits in html for fancier home page.

Duncan- decided to get rid of using beveled gears to power our wheels. they where not meshing and getting unaligned. Switched over to using regular gears, got all of the wheels and gears attached.